ALIGNS WITH CURRICULAR STANDARDS
iBiome series aligns with Common Core Standards and Next Generation Science Standards.
Help your students establish strong scientific reading skills at a grade 3-8 level.
Introduce your students to ecosystem interaction and dynamics to provide a foundation for future biological concepts.
Focus on Ecosystems: Interactions, Energy, and Dynamics curriculum.
Common Core Standards
- RST.6-8: Key Ideas and Details
- RST.6-8.3 Follow precisely a multistep procedure when carrying out experiments, taking measurements, or performing technical tasks.
- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
- RST.6-8.10By the end of grade 8, read and comprehend science/technical texts in the grades 6–8 text complexity band independently and proficiently.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6-8.8 Distinguish among facts, reasoned judgment based on research findings, and speculation in a text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6-8.7 Integrate quantitative or technical information expressed in words in a text with a version of that information expressed visually (e.g., in a flowchart, diagram, model, graph, or table).
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6-8.4 Determine the meaning of symbols, key terms, and other domain-specific words and phrases as they are used in a specific scientific or technical context relevant to grades 6–8 texts and topics.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.5.2 Determine two or more main ideas of a text and explain how they are supported by key details; summarize the text.
Next Generation Science Standards
- 5-LS2-1 Develop a model to describe the movement of matter among plants, animals, decomposers, and the environment.
- MS-LS2-1 Develop a model to describe the movement of matter among plants, animals, decomposers, and the environment.
- MS-LS2-3 Develop a model to describe the cycling of matter and flow of energy among living and nonliving parts of an ecosystem.
- MS-LS2-4 Construct an argument supported by empirical evidence that changes to physical or biological components of an ecosystem affect populations.
How Educators Use iBiome Series
- “Content and focus on ecosystem relationships bridging with human impact”
- “Manipulation of the ecosystem is not something we are able to do in the field without something like the games”
- “Love the pollution aspect, hands-on with technology always captures the students’ attention& engages them”
- “Brings an understanding of the environmental impact of humans”
- “Perfect for ecosystem unit on sustainability”
- “Help students have another exposure to the science of Biodomes”
- "Understanding food chains/food webs"
- “Help my students learn the complexities of biodiversity that is difficult to replicate”
- “Gives them hands-on practice! To better understand abstract predator/prey foodweb/chain”
- “Help students understand more about ecosystems and food webs”
- “Engagement, matches students’ attention span, interest”
- “A way for kids to show what they’ve learned and present their knowledge in a fun, interactive way”
- “Do what can’t be done in classroom. Students learn through investigation”
- “Bring ecology to life”
- “Give an engaging piece to a topic that can be difficult to bring a hands on aspect to a regular classroom”
- “Active learning! Fun!”